We honor those who have fought for our country and died in military service. This weekend many people will visit cemeteries with some volunteers placing flags on the graves of the brave soldiers.
Find out more about Memorial Day Here
Are you getting away this Memorial Day weekend? According to AAA auto club over “41.5 million people will travel over the Memorial Day weekend which is 4.8% more than last year and seven out of eight of those travelers will be driving.
If you are one of those seven out of eight traveling on the road, here are a few tips:
Drivers should be well rested and alert, use their seat belts, observe speed limits and follow the rules of the road. If someone is planning on drinking alcohol, they should designate a driver who won’t be drinking.
• Drivers should give their full attention to the road.
• Avoid distractions such as cell phones.
• Leave ample room when behind other vehicles.
• Use caution in work zones.
• Make frequent stops when traveling long distances.
• Clean the vehicle’s lights and windows, especially at night.
• Turn the headlights on as dusk approaches, or during inclement weather.
• Use high beams on rural roads unless approaching or following a vehicle.
• Refill the vehicle’s gas tank before it gets too low. If there is trouble with the car, pull as far as possible off the road.
PREPARE FOR THE UNEXPECTED
Travelers should pay attention to the weather forecast for their destination.
Travel and weather web sites can help them avoid storms and other regional challenges that could impact their safety. To be ready for unexpected problems:
• Carry an Emergency Preparedness Kit in the trunk.
• Pack high protein snacks, water, first aid kit, flashlight, a small battery-operated radio, an emergency contact card with names and phone numbers, extra prescription medications and important documents or information that may be needed.
• Travelers should let someone know their destination, route, and expected arrival time. If you get stuck along the way, help can be sent along the predetermined route.
If someone is traveling with a pet, here are some tips to make their trip more enjoyable right here.
Have a safe and very enjoyable Memorial Day Weekend